You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Over-riding auto scaling of axes in scatter plot in Numbers

I am trying to set the max for axes of scatter plot. I know where to enter in the desired maximum numbers, but as soon as I click away, my entry disappears and is reverts to "Auto". I do not want Numbers to define max from the maximum value in the data (here 163 for x axis) and then put tick marks at ridiculously labeled intervals. I want to change max to 200, but that entry is over-ridden by Auto. .

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 6:00 PM

200 pounds, or 200 days?

The first is a number value, the second is a duration. 200 is a number, so it's possible the 'fixed max was rejected as it did not match the value type of the values charted on that axis.

Or you might bypass some gried using number values on both axes.

With the current values, you could easily get 'sensible' labels on the Y axis ticks by changing Y axis Steps to 6.

For the X axis, add a row (or several rows) to the table feeding the chart, and enter an x value of 200d in the last row Leave the y value in that column (and others where you have not yet recorded a weight) empty.

A major Gridlines setting of 10 and Minor setting of 1 on the x axis would then give you a vertical line every 10 days.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 7, 2021 6:00 PM in response to FanOfSammy

200 pounds, or 200 days?

The first is a number value, the second is a duration. 200 is a number, so it's possible the 'fixed max was rejected as it did not match the value type of the values charted on that axis.

Or you might bypass some gried using number values on both axes.

With the current values, you could easily get 'sensible' labels on the Y axis ticks by changing Y axis Steps to 6.

For the X axis, add a row (or several rows) to the table feeding the chart, and enter an x value of 200d in the last row Leave the y value in that column (and others where you have not yet recorded a weight) empty.

A major Gridlines setting of 10 and Minor setting of 1 on the x axis would then give you a vertical line every 10 days.

Regards,

Barry

Over-riding auto scaling of axes in scatter plot in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.