You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16” MacBook Pro 2019 Hardware Diagnostics

I need to run hardware diagnostics on my 16” MacBook Pro 2019 w/latest version of Big Sur. I have found a couple of sets of instructions.

1. First instruction set: Restart the MacBook Pro and hold the “D” key until the select language screen appears. I have done this and I do not get the select language screen. What I see is a screen with a globe and a list of WiFi connections. If I connect to my network it then immediately takes me to internet recovery - as if it is going to restore Big Sur on my MacBook.
  2. Second instruction set: This instruction indicates to Power On the MacBook Pro by holding the power button until a screen appears with a gear icon and an “Options” menu item. Then I am to hold the Command+D keys. However, when I continue to hold the power button, the make makes the start up sound once and then eventually turns off. If I release the power button when I hear the sound, the MacBook starts up.

So in either of those situations I never get to hardware diagnostics.

Is this maybe telling me that I have a hardware problem? Are the instructions I’ve found incorrect, and if so, where do I find the correct instructions? Both sets I found were on Apple support.

The MacBook is still under warranty.

Mike

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 11:39 AM

From Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

On an Intel-based Mac, if you can't start Apple Diagnostics with the D key, try these solutions:

• Press and hold Option-D at startup to use Apple Diagnostics over the internet.
  • Make sure that your Mac isn't using a firmware password.

4 replies

16” MacBook Pro 2019 Hardware Diagnostics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.