You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar invites from Microsoft Outlook users do not show properly

In Mail I receive invitations from civil servants using Outlook on their Windows desktop. It only says 'Mail attachment'.

Some I can manually (control click) open with... Calendar File Handler and it shows up in Calendar where I can accept it.

The others I can open with Mail itself and then an unread e-mail from a previous conversation (from others involved in getting the appointment) opens. This is a big mess.

How to configure Mail in such a way that this all looks normal and I can open the Calendar proposal with one click?

Yes, I will also try to let all the civil servants of the city migrate away from Microsoft office software but this requires a lot more actions and patience. Meanwhile, a fix on my side is more effective. Thank you for your understanding.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 8:36 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 13, 2021 10:38 AM in response to ReindeR Rustema

Hello ReindeR Rustema,

Thanks for reaching out to us for support. We would love to help you with your mail attachments. When you have a free moment, please give the steps below a try.

How to change the default Mac app for specific file types

1. Right-click on a file that uses the file type you'd like to change the default for
  2. Click on Get Info in the pop-up
  3. Click Open With if the section isn't already expanded
  4. Click the dropdown menu
  5. Click the app you want to use
  6. Click Change All

The reason we ask you to give the steps above a try is because they can potentially resolve your issue.

If you’re still experiencing the same problem after completing the steps above, please do not hesitate to reach back out to us so that we can continue troubleshooting with you.

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2021 5:48 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you for collaborating to do the work of Microsoft engineers who caused this problem in the first place.

The three files do not open nor show properly as attachments. Only after I save them I can do Get Info. They are saved as Mail Attachment.ics and Mail Attachment.eml (twice). But in the mail message they appear broken.

When I see the saved documents they get the icon of the associated apps: Calendar and Mail. Nevertheless, I try what you suggest and associate Calendar with the Mail Attachment.ics and then I get a warning:

"macOS cannot verify the developer of “Mail Attachment”. Are you sure you want to open it?"

Also, when I just click on this file I get "“Mail Attachment” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

When I open the attachment from Mail it does open Calendar and it becomes an appointment in Calendar, as intended by the creators of Microsoft Outlook/Office, whatever the software is called that my correspondents are forced to use by the organisation they are in.

Interestingly, when I look at the raw source of the message I get this:

--_000_5519dbba138244b3a22fadc87d7b742eamsterdamnl_
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">

The source reads as one long HTML document with some binary parts included, each of the three section preceded with a heading. Something goes wrong there I think. My guess is that Microsoft has a 'better' implementation of some standard for rich mail messages, but it is not adopted by the rest of the world. And therefore it is not a standard, but some Microsoft peculiarity/poison.

Mar 14, 2021 4:31 PM in response to ReindeR Rustema

ReindeR Rustema,

Thanks for reaching back out to us and providing us with those details. Despite having some difficulty in the beginning, you’ve recently mentioned that when you open the attachment from the Mail app, it opens the Calendar and then becomes an appointment in the Calendar application, as intended by the creators of Microsoft Outlook/Office.

Is that correct? If so, is it safe to assume that you’ve found a solution to make things work on your end?

Cheers!

Mar 15, 2021 1:22 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Hello John,

Yes, I can manually open the attachment. The issue I have is that I receive an e-mail with a number of attachments with the same name, 'Mail Attachment', and no indication on what these attachments are. It looks like a mess that I could easily fix on my end.

The first attachment should appear as an .ics file and the other two should not appear as attachments but as quoted e-mails instead of eml files. I think. This is the job of other people, interface designers.

I will use the Apple Feedback form to ask Apple to make something for this in the next Mail version.

That is, if all Mail users receive this kind of mess from all Outlook/Office users.

Calendar invites from Microsoft Outlook users do not show properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.