You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages deleted on iPad aren’t deleted from iPhone.

I have iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro all synced through iCloud. Texts show up and I can reply from any of three devices. But when I delete a message on one device, even though I get the warning message that message will be deleted from all devices, they are not deleted from other devices. I’ve gone through all the settings I can think of and can’t solve issue.

I also have same issue with emails (gmail acct, but I use Apple mail app on iPhone and iPad , safari browser on MacBook Pro). If I delete email on phone or browser, it is deleted from iPad. If I delete from iPad, it is not deleted from other devices. I’ve checked all the settings I can find.

any suggestions.

thanks

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 11:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 9:16 AM

I feel like an idiot. Not unusual for me when dealing with syncing devices. I went back and put phone and iPad and iMac next to each other and carefully compared all settings I thought might be relevant. Found the problem when comparing the lists of internet accounts added to each device. When looking at iPad, I would see my email address listed in accounts and said, ok. But when I looked at phone at same time I saw that it was listed twice. Oops, the fact that your Apple ID is also your email address tripped me up. The account on my iPad that appeared as my email address was the Apple account, not my google acct. I added the google account to my iPad and voila! It all works, mail is perfectly synced with all three devices. Have to confess I felt really stupid, as I have had to remind my beloved wife a number of times over the years to choose the right account for sending email out, as she has the same “double listing” of her accounts. In fact I had eventually changed the nickname of the google account on her devices to “xxx’s personal email” so she would choose it and not the Apple acct.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else in the future.

thanks for your time.

JB

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2021 9:16 AM in response to Stevi_S

I feel like an idiot. Not unusual for me when dealing with syncing devices. I went back and put phone and iPad and iMac next to each other and carefully compared all settings I thought might be relevant. Found the problem when comparing the lists of internet accounts added to each device. When looking at iPad, I would see my email address listed in accounts and said, ok. But when I looked at phone at same time I saw that it was listed twice. Oops, the fact that your Apple ID is also your email address tripped me up. The account on my iPad that appeared as my email address was the Apple account, not my google acct. I added the google account to my iPad and voila! It all works, mail is perfectly synced with all three devices. Have to confess I felt really stupid, as I have had to remind my beloved wife a number of times over the years to choose the right account for sending email out, as she has the same “double listing” of her accounts. In fact I had eventually changed the nickname of the google account on her devices to “xxx’s personal email” so she would choose it and not the Apple acct.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else in the future.

thanks for your time.

JB

Mar 14, 2021 10:35 AM in response to jamesbnh2

Hi jamesbhn2,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you have some questions about iCloud. We're happy to provide some information to help.

It sounds like you've checked your iCloud setting, so great job there. We want be 100% sure nothing is missed, so still want to share the information here: Use Messages in iCloud

Also, make sure all your devices are connected to a reliable Wi-Fi, and that Low Power Mode isn't enabled. Low Power Mode can prevent some iCloud features from working as expected. You can see more about that here: Use Low Power Mode to save battery life on your iPhone

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Stevi_S

I did check low power settings to be thorough, but that is not the issue. This problem with the iPad email deletions/trashings not syncing to account and thus other devices is a long term issue that has been happening for almost a year. I suspect it is a setting in gmail account, but I’ve gone through them multiple times and can’t find a solution. I’ve checked mail settings on the iPad and they are identical to the settings on my iPhone, which does correctly sync deletions to other devices, including the iPad.

Any suggestions?

Messages deleted on iPad aren’t deleted from iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.