You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 - 13" Macbook Pro Screen Delamination (Stagnate)

Another screen on a Macbook Pro I own is starting to delaminate! It is not really bad yet, but I wanted to get it looked after. This is the 3rd time, I've run into this issue (on all 3 computers we own in our family), so I'm a little frustrate. Apple has typically always looked after me... until now, when I enquired about the fix they said it was past 4 years from date of purchase so it wasn't eligible for repair. This is crazy to me for a defect that happens on a perfectly good computer that has years of life left in it. Wondering what other options I have for getting this looked after as Apple won't do anything short of making pay full price for the replacement of this display, which is expensive. Anyone aware of a way to safely remove the coating or even any options for a decent price replacement screen.

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 2:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 5:20 PM

Unfortunately if you have a Retina laptop then there isn't much you can do. I had one of our laptops with pretty severe anti-reflective coating issue where I tried to remove the coating and was only partially successful. I was able to remove the coating from the upper half, but the lower half is a mix of coated and non-coated areas. I don't recommend trying to remove the coating since you may not be successful and you may end up with a screen worse than before.

Perhaps you can find an independent tech/shop that can replace just the glass, but you do risk damage to the LCD Panel and wiring inside the display since these parts are extremely fragile even if the tech is extremely careful. While I've replaced the glass on the older non-Retina laptops I've never replaced the glass on the Retina laptops because of the increased difficulty.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2021 5:20 PM in response to c_blumhagen

Unfortunately if you have a Retina laptop then there isn't much you can do. I had one of our laptops with pretty severe anti-reflective coating issue where I tried to remove the coating and was only partially successful. I was able to remove the coating from the upper half, but the lower half is a mix of coated and non-coated areas. I don't recommend trying to remove the coating since you may not be successful and you may end up with a screen worse than before.

Perhaps you can find an independent tech/shop that can replace just the glass, but you do risk damage to the LCD Panel and wiring inside the display since these parts are extremely fragile even if the tech is extremely careful. While I've replaced the glass on the older non-Retina laptops I've never replaced the glass on the Retina laptops because of the increased difficulty.

2015 - 13" Macbook Pro Screen Delamination (Stagnate)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.