You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I upgrade my software

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 3:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 3:31 PM

🍎 > About This Mac shows the model and year, and that info then determines what macOS upgrades are available.

macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Mojave supports 32-bit and 64-bit apps, while Catalina and Big Sur have retired the 32-bit interfaces. This means you’ll either need to upgrade to Mojave and defer resolving this, or you’ll need to check that all your apps are 64-bit, or the apps have upgrades, or have alternatives. Or you can retire the 32-bit app. The Go64 tool can be used to identify these older 32-bit apps.

Microsoft Office 2011 and earlier are not 64-bit, and will not work on Catalina and later. Which means that if you need Office, you will need to upgrade to Office 2016, Office 2019, Office 365 subscription, the upcoming Office 2021, or to LibreOffice or maybe Apple iWork apps.

Have a complete and current backup created before the upgrade, as that’s the path back should the upgrade fail, or should some critical app not function.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2021 3:31 PM in response to kristinia2011

🍎 > About This Mac shows the model and year, and that info then determines what macOS upgrades are available.

macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Mojave supports 32-bit and 64-bit apps, while Catalina and Big Sur have retired the 32-bit interfaces. This means you’ll either need to upgrade to Mojave and defer resolving this, or you’ll need to check that all your apps are 64-bit, or the apps have upgrades, or have alternatives. Or you can retire the 32-bit app. The Go64 tool can be used to identify these older 32-bit apps.

Microsoft Office 2011 and earlier are not 64-bit, and will not work on Catalina and later. Which means that if you need Office, you will need to upgrade to Office 2016, Office 2019, Office 365 subscription, the upcoming Office 2021, or to LibreOffice or maybe Apple iWork apps.

Have a complete and current backup created before the upgrade, as that’s the path back should the upgrade fail, or should some critical app not function.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.