You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i update my early 2009 IMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?

Does anyone know how I can update my early 2009 iMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 3:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 2:12 PM

ROBL14 Said:

"Can i update my early 2009 IMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?: Thanks for the information. Seems like I downloaded something called MacOSX.dmg. Dont know what to do from here. Instructions not very clear."

-------

You are Welcome.

To Upgrade:

1. Backup First: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong.

2. What you Need: El Capitan Installer. The file name: InstallMacOSX.dmg.

Quote: "It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system."

So, double-click what is downloaded, then go into the Applications folder, and open double-click that file. Then, proceed from there with the upgrade.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2021 2:12 PM in response to ROBL14

ROBL14 Said:

"Can i update my early 2009 IMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?: Thanks for the information. Seems like I downloaded something called MacOSX.dmg. Dont know what to do from here. Instructions not very clear."

-------

You are Welcome.

To Upgrade:

1. Backup First: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong.

2. What you Need: El Capitan Installer. The file name: InstallMacOSX.dmg.

Quote: "It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system."

So, double-click what is downloaded, then go into the Applications folder, and open double-click that file. Then, proceed from there with the upgrade.

Mar 12, 2021 4:05 PM in response to ROBL14

ROBL14 Said:

"Can i update my early 2009 IMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?: Does anyone know how I can update my early 2009 iMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?"

------

Yes. It is compatible.

See Here: OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

To Upgrade:

2. Download the Upgrade: How to Get Old Versions of macOS - Apple Support

Can i update my early 2009 IMac from OSX Yosemite to El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.