You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor problem post update

Dear all, once I updated MAC OS to Big Sur (currently version 11.2.2) my external monitor is no longer recognised as 4k (LG 4k connected via USB-C <> Display port cable). Before there was no problem at all it used to work perfectly fine. Now I have to disconnect and connect the monitor 10+ times with the hope that it will be recognised. It completely ruins my fork flow and already caused numerous delays in a number of projects. Have anyone experienced the same problem and if yes what is the solution? Does Apply know about this issue?

Thank you!

Alex

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 7:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 2:31 AM

#UPDATE

I purchased two more cables to test.

My initial cable was "CHOETECH USB C to DisplayPort Cable 4K@60Hz(Thunderbolt 3 Compatible)" it worked perfectly with Catalina all way up until the update to Big Sur delivering 4K 60Hz.

Then I tried another usb-c to display cable hoping that maybe my initial cable is not suited any longer. I got "uni USB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz, Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable)" which did not work too.

Finally, I tried "Anker Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable 4K 60Hz" and it WORKED! Now, I am happy I resolved the problem, but my expectation when I buy 2k laptop and bind it with a 4k monitor is that it works without me eating months of time and lost business.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2021 2:31 AM in response to Sean Meredith

#UPDATE

I purchased two more cables to test.

My initial cable was "CHOETECH USB C to DisplayPort Cable 4K@60Hz(Thunderbolt 3 Compatible)" it worked perfectly with Catalina all way up until the update to Big Sur delivering 4K 60Hz.

Then I tried another usb-c to display cable hoping that maybe my initial cable is not suited any longer. I got "uni USB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz, Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable)" which did not work too.

Finally, I tried "Anker Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable 4K 60Hz" and it WORKED! Now, I am happy I resolved the problem, but my expectation when I buy 2k laptop and bind it with a 4k monitor is that it works without me eating months of time and lost business.

Mar 15, 2021 10:00 PM in response to aanovitskiy

My MacBook Pro M1 was working fine with my external LG 4k display until I upgraded to MacOS 11.2.3. Now the monitor never wakes from sleep. I have to replug in the display cable.

The chain is MacBook Pro to OWC Thunderbolt Hub via Thunderbolt 4 cable -> Thunderbolt Hub to LG monitor via USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter & DisplayPort cable.

External monitor problem post update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.