You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i find Mac OS 10.13.6 to install/update on my Mac....is it possible my Mac is too old?

hello.....why can't i find Mac OS 10.13.6 to install/update on my Mac....is it possible my Mac is too old?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 10:45 AM

3 replies

Mar 14, 2021 10:58 AM in response to thegibsons5

🍎 > About This Mac shows model and yesr, and—as correctly mentioned above—that determines the available updates and the available upgrades.

In Apple terminology, updates are smaller and less disruptive changes and unlikely to break apps, while upgrades are larger and can break some apps.

Here is how to get the current and some other recent releases, and how to upgrade your Mac:

macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Have a complete and current backup prior to the upgrade, as that’s the path to recovery should something go wrong, or should some critical app fail.

If you do upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur—if Catalina or later is supported on your Mac—all of your apps will need to be 64-bit apps. Older 32-bit apps do not work on Catalina and later. This means, for instance, Office 2011 and earlier do not work, and you will need to upgrade to Office 2016, Office 2019, Office 365 subscription, or the upcoming Office 2021, or you will need to migrate to an alternative such as LibreOffice (free), or the (free) Apple iWork apps which can read and write many Office documents. Use the Go64 tool to find 32-bit apps before upgrading to Catalina or later.

why can't i find Mac OS 10.13.6 to install/update on my Mac....is it possible my Mac is too old?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.