You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving iMessages

I am needing to retrieve some deleted iMessages from my phone for a court case coming up. The messages were deleted off my phone acouple months ago. I back the phone up every night to iCloud and I don’t believe iCloud stores multiple backups from previous dates.

My question is how can I retrieve the deleted iMessages from acouple months ago?

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 8:52 AM

Apple’s iMessage service, just like cellular carrier’s SMS/MMS systems, purges messages once successfully delivered. Or, if undeliverable, they stay in the queue for a short period but after that, are again purged.

People literally send billions of texts every single day. Nobody stores all that traffic.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 15, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Yo-Ho

Apple’s iMessage service, just like cellular carrier’s SMS/MMS systems, purges messages once successfully delivered. Or, if undeliverable, they stay in the queue for a short period but after that, are again purged.

People literally send billions of texts every single day. Nobody stores all that traffic.

Retrieving iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.