You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant crashes while migrating to new hard drive. macOS Mojave.

Mac mini 2018. Every time I try to migrate my external (boot) Mojave Fusion drive to a 4TB SSD, Migration Assistant crashes. This crash occurs even when using my late 15" 2013 MBP. Does not matter if I use wifi, ethernet, or Thunderbolt. It does not mater if I only use the mini or the MBP or even both, does not mater if it is to mini from MBP or vice versa.

All the drives and cables check out. Tried different enclosures for the drives and different target hard drives. It seems no mater what I do, about a 1/8th or so into the process, the computer(s) will do a reboot (crash/lockup).

To be clear, this is Mojave 10.14.6 to Mojave 10.14.6.

What am I doing wrong here?

Is there another way to get this data transferred without hacking the data over?

It's about 3TB's worth of data.

Thanks in advance.

DMB

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 7:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 11:36 AM

Hey there, iQuack2!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having an issue moving your data from your external hard drive to another computer using Migration Assistant. Based on what is happening, we recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow for How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, follow the steps here to Move your content to a new Mac.

Let us know the results and have a super day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2021 11:36 AM in response to iQuack2

Hey there, iQuack2!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having an issue moving your data from your external hard drive to another computer using Migration Assistant. Based on what is happening, we recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow for How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, follow the steps here to Move your content to a new Mac.

Let us know the results and have a super day!

Migration Assistant crashes while migrating to new hard drive. macOS Mojave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.