You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Album Index Is Out Of Order...

Hi,

Having recently moved to a new iMac (2013 macOS Catalina v.10.15.7), I am noticing that a drop-down index of my photo albums in the 'Photos' app always shows the albums in non-alphabetical order...

The drop-down list is in the correct alphabetical order on my older MacBook Pro.

The index at fault is the one I see drop down after selecting 'Add To...' when archiving my images.

The left-hand album view is ok, they are all in order. Its only the 'Add to..' drop-down listing that is out of order.

See here...

I have tried everything to correct this but to no avail.

Do anyone have any ideas?

Regards

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 11:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 1:11 AM

As an example of using folders - all my albums with vacation photos are grouped in yearly folders for easy access, and an additional layer of enclosing folders for groups of ten years. Tat makes it easy to handle more than thousand albums in the drop down lists, as the list will be a short list of folders and I have only to open the folders I want.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2021 1:11 AM in response to léonie

As an example of using folders - all my albums with vacation photos are grouped in yearly folders for easy access, and an additional layer of enclosing folders for groups of ten years. Tat makes it easy to handle more than thousand albums in the drop down lists, as the list will be a short list of folders and I have only to open the folders I want.

Mar 17, 2021 12:44 AM in response to EnEs63

This problem seems to be fixed in macOS 11.2 Big Sur, but I am not sure, if your Mac can be upgraded to this system version. On my Mac the drop down list of "Add to Album" is back to normal, and exactly in the same order as in the sidebar.

On macOS Catalina I have simply stooped to use "Add to album" at all. It is quicker and easier to drag the selected photos directly to the album in the sidebar. And I al structuring the list of albums with folders. It helps a lot not to have a flat list of albums, but to collect related albums in folders and subfolders. This shortens the list of albums and we can hide complete groups of albums by closing the containing folder.

Photo Album Index Is Out Of Order...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.