You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Icloud delete files without warning?

Files in my documents folder on my macbook air seem to go mysteriously missing. I am low on iCloud storage, so I wonder if iCloud removes files automatically to make space? I am starting to feel like it is dangerous to use iCloud as this seems to happen continuously, and there is no record of files that ave been deleted or removed by iCloud. I wish it had a record of deleted files going back farther then a week, the files in qustion are probably older then that, a few months. It is very frustrating, like, songs I wrote, that I will never get back.

thoughts?

Brandon

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 8:52 AM

iCloud does not delete files automatically, but it will stop working reliably, if you have not enough storage. The upload to iCloud my not succeed, also the download from iCloud, until you have freed enough cloud storage. See: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you run out of iCloud storage, your device won’t back up to iCloud, new photos and videos won't upload to iCloud Photos, and iCloud Drive, other iCloud apps, and text messages won't stay up to date across your devices. And you can't send or receive emails with your iCloud email address.

You should keep backup copies of items you are storing in iCloud, so you can recover items, that might get lost because of user errors or transmission errors. If you are using "Optimize Storage" and not all items are mirrored locally on your Mac, your regular Time Machine backup cannot include the optimised versions, and you will have no backup at all. If you are using iCloud, it is even more important to make regular backpacks, or you may not be able to access your documents and data at all, if you find yourself without an internet access. See: archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 19, 2021 8:52 AM in response to 7brandon7

iCloud does not delete files automatically, but it will stop working reliably, if you have not enough storage. The upload to iCloud my not succeed, also the download from iCloud, until you have freed enough cloud storage. See: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you run out of iCloud storage, your device won’t back up to iCloud, new photos and videos won't upload to iCloud Photos, and iCloud Drive, other iCloud apps, and text messages won't stay up to date across your devices. And you can't send or receive emails with your iCloud email address.

You should keep backup copies of items you are storing in iCloud, so you can recover items, that might get lost because of user errors or transmission errors. If you are using "Optimize Storage" and not all items are mirrored locally on your Mac, your regular Time Machine backup cannot include the optimised versions, and you will have no backup at all. If you are using iCloud, it is even more important to make regular backpacks, or you may not be able to access your documents and data at all, if you find yourself without an internet access. See: archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud

Does Icloud delete files without warning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.