You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto library

how to manage multiple iphoto libraries?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 10:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 11:34 AM

Are you really asking about iPhoto and not Photos for Mac?

• In iPhoto you can switch between libraries by by quitting iPhoto and then double-clicking the iPhoto Library you want to open.
  • The same will work in Photos for Mac. Quit the Photos.app, then double click the Library to open it in Photos. Or hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and select the library from the Library Chooser dialog: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

To create additional libraries in either of the two applications, hold down the options key ⌥ while launching the application and select to create a new library.

Photos Libraries need to be on a volume with the correct file system format and with a wired connection, not a on a network share or in a synced folder like DropBox. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 19, 2021 11:34 AM in response to karenfrommalibu

Are you really asking about iPhoto and not Photos for Mac?

• In iPhoto you can switch between libraries by by quitting iPhoto and then double-clicking the iPhoto Library you want to open.
  • The same will work in Photos for Mac. Quit the Photos.app, then double click the Library to open it in Photos. Or hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and select the library from the Library Chooser dialog: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

To create additional libraries in either of the two applications, hold down the options key ⌥ while launching the application and select to create a new library.

Photos Libraries need to be on a volume with the correct file system format and with a wired connection, not a on a network share or in a synced folder like DropBox. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 19, 2021 12:00 PM in response to Keith Barkley

hi, keith, thanks for the reply. i simply want to open and organize multiple "Photos Library (original).photoslibrary" files currently on an external hard drive. since posting this i have confirmed that i can open these .photoslibrary files in Adobe Lightroom and work with them there. either way, looks as if i am on the way to a solution. thanks again!

iphoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.