You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air touch ID

My Touch ID will not allow me to add finger print. Just says “Failed” without giving me an opportunity to try and add a finger print.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 2:43 AM

Restart in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at restart. Does a repair disk, clear cache files and only loads Apple Software and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once Logged in it will look and perform differently - also normal. Test by removing all fingerprints and add a New one. Does it allow this to happen in this Mode ( Safe )?

If unsuccessful - again shutdown and connect to charger. For Intel Reset SMC perform 3x . For M1 - Hold Power Button / Touch ID ( same button ) for 10 seconds and perform 3x

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2021 2:43 AM in response to LFull_3

Restart in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at restart. Does a repair disk, clear cache files and only loads Apple Software and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once Logged in it will look and perform differently - also normal. Test by removing all fingerprints and add a New one. Does it allow this to happen in this Mode ( Safe )?

If unsuccessful - again shutdown and connect to charger. For Intel Reset SMC perform 3x . For M1 - Hold Power Button / Touch ID ( same button ) for 10 seconds and perform 3x

macbook air touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.