You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Window information shifts after the mini wakes up

I have dual monitors on a m1 mac mini that are working fine except that when the mini wakes up from being asleep, the windows that were positioned on the secondary monitor shift over to the primary monitor.

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 10:46 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Mar 23, 2021 3:45 PM in response to Grwisher

Sorry that didn’t help.

I’m not sure what else to suggest at this point, except to send feedback to Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I will say that I’ve been using dual displays for years and never had a single issue maintaining window locations in any of the earlier OS X or macOS versions up until Catalina. At this point Catalina maintains the window location during a sleep/wake cycle, but rearranges them after a restart.

To be honest, I’m holding back at Catalina for now because there are too many reports (like yours) and it is bad enough to have to rearrange things after a restart.

Mar 24, 2021 6:34 AM in response to Grwisher

hcsitas makes a good point and it's actually not a bad work-around.

Go back in and check "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off"

Then setup a Hot Corner to "Put Display(s) to Sleep"

Occasionally I find myself using the Put Displays to Sleep Hot Corner to revive a black or fuzz display in my dual display setup.

Mar 23, 2021 1:50 PM in response to den.thed

Sorry, still same behavior.

In Mission Control the first two boxes were checked and I unchecked them. I am also not using Hot Corners. The window content (one is a website and the other is a preview .png) moved from the secondary display to the primary display after the mini woke up. I had an iMac (late 2020) that did the same thing.

Now I am running a 16gb/1tb Mac Mini under 11.2.3 with the primary display using a regular USB-C cable and the secondary display using a regular HDMI cable. I have also tried using a DisplayPort (on the display) to USB-C (on the mini) instead of the regular USB-C cable on the primary display. Both displays are new Dell 32-inch LED-lit (U3219Q). This same behavior happened with two LG UltraFine 5K displays that were purchased from Apple.

Mar 23, 2021 4:00 PM in response to den.thed

I, also, have used dual monitors for years on Macs without incident. You are probably right in holding off on upgrading.

I have called Apple support repeatedly without success. This is my last hope unless I buy one of those extra wide monitors, which I may do if I can't get a solution, to what has to be a widespread problem to using dual monitors. Like why would you have dual monitors if the OS is going to make you drag the window contents from the primary display to the secondary display every time the system wakes up from sleeping? The answer is that you wouldn't.

Window information shifts after the mini wakes up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.