You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open iphoto

Hello! I can't open iphoto anymore. I think I still have some old photos in there, but I can't check... Why can't i open it (it is a "no entry" sign, 🚫) and could it still be pictures there? Can I ever open it og can I just delete it because it takes a lot of space on my mac...

MacBook

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 10:45 AM

It sounds like you just updated to Catalina or Big Sur. iPhoto no longer runs on those OS' because they are 64 bit only.

You can use Photos - iPhoto's replacement - with your iPhoto Library. Launch Photos with the option key held down. from the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library from your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed, though it will be renamed.

You can certainly trash the iPhoto application, though it does not take up much space. Once you have converted the iPhoto Library to Photos, and you have verified that your images are in the new library, you can remove your iPhoto Library.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2021 10:45 AM in response to tine421

It sounds like you just updated to Catalina or Big Sur. iPhoto no longer runs on those OS' because they are 64 bit only.

You can use Photos - iPhoto's replacement - with your iPhoto Library. Launch Photos with the option key held down. from the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library from your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed, though it will be renamed.

You can certainly trash the iPhoto application, though it does not take up much space. Once you have converted the iPhoto Library to Photos, and you have verified that your images are in the new library, you can remove your iPhoto Library.

can't open iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.