You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open my photolibrary on a TimeMachine backup

I am trying to open my photolibrary on my TimeMachine backup to recover a photo I deleted about 4 months ago. I can find the photolibrary on my TimeMachine backup disk, but I can't open it and I get this message:

"the operation can't be completed: PHPhotosErrorDomain fault 1000"

Any ideas what I can do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 2:46 PM

Then restore the library to another volume or folder where it won't over wright your current library. Open it and export the original of the one photo you want to the Desktop. Open you current library import the photo. When done you can delete the "restored" library to free up space.

5 replies

Mar 24, 2021 3:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, I was just thinking about doing so, but I am afraid this can be a time-consuming process: I know I deleted the photo about 4 months ago, but I am not sure about the exact date. I'll have to guess which library to restore.

In the past I used TimeMachine a few times to restore some Word-files and that was a piece of cake: I didn't have to restore the whole Docs folder.

Thanks for your help!

Can't open my photolibrary on a TimeMachine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.