You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from MacBook to External Hard Drive

I would like to transfer photos from my 2011 build MacBook Pro to an external hard drive. I do not want to simply copy my Photos library; I want to have the photos available to be viewed by a PC. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 5:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 4:23 AM

If you want to access the photos on a PC, then you'll need to export the photos from the Photos Library. Simply highlight the photos, select export from the menu bar and choose format/size as well as folder location.

However, if you have a large library and you want to maintain album structures then you can either export on an album by album or you might be able to use a script to maintain the folder structure for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2021 4:23 AM in response to jp1954

If you want to access the photos on a PC, then you'll need to export the photos from the Photos Library. Simply highlight the photos, select export from the menu bar and choose format/size as well as folder location.

However, if you have a large library and you want to maintain album structures then you can either export on an album by album or you might be able to use a script to maintain the folder structure for you.

Transferring photos from MacBook to External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.