You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After seeing ‘Software update is required to connect to your iOS device’ what are the minimum macOS requirements, 10._ ? Currently running 10.11.6 and don’t want to up date to many versions Trying to connect to an iPhone running software Version 1

After seeing ‘Software update is required to connect to your iOS device’ what are the minimum macOS requirements, 10._ ?

Currently running 10.11.6 and don’t want to up date to many versions 

Trying to connect to an iPhone running software Version 13.6.1 

thanks,

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 5:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 5:46 AM

Read this. Maybe it will put your mind at ease. This will not update the Mac OS but it is required to update iTunes if you want to connect your phone to iTunes.

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies

Mar 25, 2021 6:38 AM in response to Rob8888

Rob8888 wrote:

It is very vague, so it doesn't update the software on your computer nor iphone, just itunes?

That is correct. It is a minor update to iTunes only. I had to apply the update back when iOS 13 was released so my Mac which is also running El Capitan, 10.11.6, could see my iPhone and iPads. It took a few minutes to install and then my devices were able to connect to iTunes.

thank you for your help with this

You’re quite welcome.

After seeing ‘Software update is required to connect to your iOS device’ what are the minimum macOS requirements, 10._ ? Currently running 10.11.6 and don’t want to up date to many versions Trying to connect to an iPhone running software Version 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.