You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I just got a new iMac and migrated everything over from my old iMac using the most recent backup from my Time Capsule. When trying to open Photos I get a message "The library could not be opened" with "Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library". (4302)

The Photos window also shows that Updating Library . . . is 100% complete.

The only two options it shows are Quit and Open Other.

I've tried creating a new library but it still won't open.

Photos worked on the old iMac, but often spontaneously shut down when working with large files.

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 9:17 AM

Are you sure when you created a new library that it was the new one you were trying to open. If it won't open a new library, there is something off with your installation, or with your user account. It might be that if you copied *everything* in from your old mac, that you may have put somthing somewhere that is not compatible with Big Sur.

Two things you can try:

1 - Boot in safe mode. Then see if you can open photos. If you can, try booting normally and then see. This will tell us if there is somthing loaded at start up that's causing the problem, or if there are some caches or temp files that need clearing.

2 - Create a new user account. See if you can open photos from this new account.

This will tell us if the problem is limited to your account, or if it is system wide.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2021 9:17 AM in response to CK9657

Are you sure when you created a new library that it was the new one you were trying to open. If it won't open a new library, there is something off with your installation, or with your user account. It might be that if you copied *everything* in from your old mac, that you may have put somthing somewhere that is not compatible with Big Sur.

Two things you can try:

1 - Boot in safe mode. Then see if you can open photos. If you can, try booting normally and then see. This will tell us if there is somthing loaded at start up that's causing the problem, or if there are some caches or temp files that need clearing.

2 - Create a new user account. See if you can open photos from this new account.

This will tell us if the problem is limited to your account, or if it is system wide.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.