You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

That 169 address

I brought a new MacBook Air recently and while it connects to wifi it will not connect to the internet. However my iPhone, iMac and recently connected Dell laptop have had no issues whatsoever. Hours spent on support lines with no ultimate resolution. ISP and Apple bounce me back and forwards. All the usual expected attempted fix processes gone though, usually multiple times. Even scrubbed them reinstalled iOS on the MacBook. I took the Mac to a friends place, same problem duplicated. ISP are sending me a new modem(free) and Apple have booked me into a local authorised service centre. My money is on the MacBook Air as the source of the problem.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 3:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 4:07 PM

drumsagogo Said:

"That 269 address: I brought a new MacBook Air recently and while it connects to wifi it will not connect to the internet.[...]"

-------

Five Thoughts:

A. Three Resets:

Try performing an SMC and NVRAM resets thrice - it may take up to three tries each.

B. New User:

Try creating a new Administrator (for troubleshooting purposes). See if it then works. If it does work, then it is likely something misconfigured in the current user.

C. Any Security Software?:

Security Software would disallow items to be connected to a Mac, if such a setting is an option on it. So, uninstall the software.

D. Tried Ethernet?:

Single-Out Wi-Fi: Try connecting using Ethernet, this is likely the adapter you need: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple. If Ethernet works, then it is most certainly an issue with WiFi - not the Internet.

E. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: Shift key upon boot]. In Safe Mode, damaged files are reset and fixed to how they should be. So, boot into it, wait 30 seconds, then restart the Mac, logging in as usual, seeing where things go from there. In Safe Mode, login items do not open at login and damaged system files(i.e. caches), are fixed, if existent.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2021 4:07 PM in response to drumsagogo

drumsagogo Said:

"That 269 address: I brought a new MacBook Air recently and while it connects to wifi it will not connect to the internet.[...]"

-------

Five Thoughts:

A. Three Resets:

Try performing an SMC and NVRAM resets thrice - it may take up to three tries each.

B. New User:

Try creating a new Administrator (for troubleshooting purposes). See if it then works. If it does work, then it is likely something misconfigured in the current user.

C. Any Security Software?:

Security Software would disallow items to be connected to a Mac, if such a setting is an option on it. So, uninstall the software.

D. Tried Ethernet?:

Single-Out Wi-Fi: Try connecting using Ethernet, this is likely the adapter you need: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple. If Ethernet works, then it is most certainly an issue with WiFi - not the Internet.

E. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: Shift key upon boot]. In Safe Mode, damaged files are reset and fixed to how they should be. So, boot into it, wait 30 seconds, then restart the Mac, logging in as usual, seeing where things go from there. In Safe Mode, login items do not open at login and damaged system files(i.e. caches), are fixed, if existent.

Mar 26, 2021 5:01 PM in response to drumsagogo

drumsagogo Said:

"Thanks The Littles. Support walked me thru B and C. Not sure about A, will check it out. Will try E. Re D, don’t have adaptors, Apple store 2hrs return trip and merch not cheap."

-------

You are welcome.

Use of these Forums:

You can always ask on these forums, prior to going to the Apple Store - it may end up saving you a few.

Mar 26, 2021 8:01 PM in response to drumsagogo

Do you mean that your Mac is using a 169.254.x.x IP address, which doesn't work with your router because that is using a different subnet? You can manually assign the address to be in a suitable range if required, but it is normal to set things up to use DHCP to obtain an address.

You may have a computer on your network acting as a DHCP server on the 169.254.x.x range when you don't want it to. This can happen with a Windows PC that starts up and cannot see an existing DHCP server on the network. It may pay to turn off all of your network enabled devices including your router, then turn on the router, give it five minutes to set itself up, then turn on other devices one by checking that each can establish a connection to the Internet.

tt2

That 169 address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.