You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find what Apple considers "Other" storage with specificity? I have over 130 GB being used - half my MacBook Pro

Over half of my MacBook Pro is being consumed with "Other" storage.

I have searched with Daisy Disk, I have tried storage management. I have looked through all three Library files and cannot seem to find any files that would be large enough to consume that much space.

I am not a Mac Genius, though I'm not useless with getting around my Mac either.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 5:22 PM

It is known that macOS Storage Management doesn't always show the correct amounts for the various sections. The important part is how much free space you have overall. Only delete items within your user folder(s) and be especially careful removing items from the "~/Library" folder as well. You should never delete anything from the other Library folders as you may break macOS (this is much more difficult to do today with the extra security preventing modification to system areas).

Boot into Safe Made so that macOS will delete any temp and cache files for you. Plus you can delete or clear your browsers' cache from within the browser itself (usually under the "Privacy" settings/Preferences with the browser).

Have all your backups completely transferred to your external media? APFS file system snapshots used by various backup solutions will retain all data even if those files have been deleted. Once the backup has completely transferred those APFS snapshots should be automatically deleted. macOS will also create an APFS snapshot when updating macOS as well. Most APFS snaphots will be automatically deleted after a week (not sure about snapshots for backups). You can thin or delete APFS snapshots using information in this article:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/reclaiming-drive-space-by-thinning-apple-file-system-snapshot-backups/

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2021 5:22 PM in response to glenc73

It is known that macOS Storage Management doesn't always show the correct amounts for the various sections. The important part is how much free space you have overall. Only delete items within your user folder(s) and be especially careful removing items from the "~/Library" folder as well. You should never delete anything from the other Library folders as you may break macOS (this is much more difficult to do today with the extra security preventing modification to system areas).

Boot into Safe Made so that macOS will delete any temp and cache files for you. Plus you can delete or clear your browsers' cache from within the browser itself (usually under the "Privacy" settings/Preferences with the browser).

Have all your backups completely transferred to your external media? APFS file system snapshots used by various backup solutions will retain all data even if those files have been deleted. Once the backup has completely transferred those APFS snapshots should be automatically deleted. macOS will also create an APFS snapshot when updating macOS as well. Most APFS snaphots will be automatically deleted after a week (not sure about snapshots for backups). You can thin or delete APFS snapshots using information in this article:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/reclaiming-drive-space-by-thinning-apple-file-system-snapshot-backups/

Mar 28, 2021 11:18 AM in response to glenc73

Storage

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/guide/system-information/see-available-storage-space-syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

https://support.apple.com/guide/system-information/optimize-storage-space-sysp4ee93ca4/11.0/mac/11.0

Mar 28, 2021 11:09 AM in response to glenc73

Welcome!

What mac OS version? In Big Sur, the system is supposed to take care of it:

See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

I just checked a new M1MacBook Pro I am setting up for a friend and it showed 15GB "Other" after running for ten days. After restarting, it shows 9GB. See if a restart reduces the "other" in your computer.

If you are not running Big Sur, it could be from third-party apps. So-called "cleaning" apps have caused that, as have printer software that fails to clear print job caches. I've seen reports of Google Chrome load a computer with temp files and helper files as well.

So we need to know your macOS version to offer more specific advice.

Mar 28, 2021 11:27 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hey Allan!!

Thanks for this.

Ok, specs are:

Macbook Pro 13in - 2016)

MacOS big Sur V 11.2.3

I have restarted, I have shut down. I had Disk Utility going for maybe y hours yesterday (I had to cut short before it could finish due need to relocate).

Everything seems to be running fine, but... I can tell it is isn't - if that makes sense.

I have Daisy Disk'ed it and tried to locate the Hidden Space (100+GB).

I have scanned through all three Libraries and deleted what I saw where old apps and files no longer in use. Deleted Relocated Items.

I have re-sized my library to see if I can find the largest files, no luck.

I can say this in that it is not in my User account and I can't see anything that stands out in my HD.

I pretty much only use Safari. I have cleaned my cache.

I have used only a couple of printers over the years and I would say I have printed a maximum of 10 pages. I checked the apps and there are no outstanding jobs I can see.

Cheers

G

Where can I find what Apple considers "Other" storage with specificity? I have over 130 GB being used - half my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.