You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error installing Big Sur

I tried install the Big Sur update and it didn’t work, now whenever I turn on my mac and login it automatically starts the update. It then gets stuck on less than a minute remaining for a while but eventually goes to an error message saying “An error occurred preparing the software update”. From this I can’t access much else other than what’s on the grey screen.

Im using a MacBook Air.

It would be great if someone could help me with this issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 1:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 6:30 AM

Second to last option - Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version this involves recent Time Machine Backup.

If this does not work - advise and offer an option but it will involves loosing everything on the computer and can not be restored.

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 29, 2021 2:22 AM in response to NotChoco03

Force Shutdown computer via Power - Touch ID Button ( both are the same button ). Disconnect all external drives. Connect to charger. Restart and Immediately hold - Shift - key. This is Safe Mode and will do a Repair Disk, Clear cache files and only load Apple Software and Fonts. This process will load much slower - Norma. If all goes well - it may or may not allow the upGrade process to complete. If it does complete - Setup Assist of Big Sur will be presented.

Error installing Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.