You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I be sure that all the info on my mac is stored in the cloud? I want to move it all to another computer and wipe this one clean. Thank you.

How do I store all the info on my mac to the cloud so I can wipe this mac clean and access my info through a new computer?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 11:16 AM

It is not possible to store everything in your Mac in iCloud.

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is possible to sync data from a Mac to iCloud if you turn on those options (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive including the Desktop & Documents option). Syncing has some of the benefits of a backup (and the benefit of being offsite) but is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything on your Mac can be synced and the fact that if you delete something, accidentally or otherwise, there is only a limited time period (30 days in most cases) during which it can be recovered.

Also see: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

And more information on syncing in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

and

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2021 11:16 AM in response to icetime43

It is not possible to store everything in your Mac in iCloud.

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is possible to sync data from a Mac to iCloud if you turn on those options (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive including the Desktop & Documents option). Syncing has some of the benefits of a backup (and the benefit of being offsite) but is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything on your Mac can be synced and the fact that if you delete something, accidentally or otherwise, there is only a limited time period (30 days in most cases) during which it can be recovered.

Also see: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

And more information on syncing in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

and

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

How can I be sure that all the info on my mac is stored in the cloud? I want to move it all to another computer and wipe this one clean. Thank you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.