You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set up family share for apple music from the app on my Android phone?

Can I set up a family share plan for apple music from the app on my Android phone?

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 2:24 PM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2021 10:36 AM in response to Limnos

The link only shows that I can USE the Apple music from my android device. I CANNOT set up the family share plan from my android device:

Manage Family Sharing

You can set up a Family Sharing group — even if you're not an Apple Music subscriber. Just open the Apple Music app, tap the More button  , tap Account, then tap Manage Family.

From here, you can create an Apple ID for a child and set up a payment method for your family to use with purchases.

This is INCORRECT.

After much time with 2 different service reps, and much prodding by myself to get the answers...family sharing plan must be set up on an APPLE DEVICE, as the "family organizer", then it can be shared on an android device as long as they have an apple id.

Apr 2, 2021 1:20 PM in response to 2old4apple

Yeah, I told somebody else earlier they couldn't, then I saw that sentence in a different document specifically for Android and did a 180. I suspect the articles need "improving". Either that or a lawyer taking it apart word for word would say the "managing" refers to once you have it "set up" on an Apple device, but omitting "Apple device".

Sorry, I am just a user of Apple products like you and apart from personal experience with them (and I don't have an Android device) I just have to rely upon what the documentation says and do my best to interpret it.

So it is:

Set up Family Sharing - https://support.apple.com/HT201088

"To use Family Sharing, you need an Apple ID signed in to iCloud on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 8 or later, or Mac with OS X Yosemite or later."

versus:

Use Apple Music with your Android devices - Apple Support

"You can set up a Family Sharing group"

Sometimes it's a bit like the Oracle at Delphi.

Can I set up family share for apple music from the app on my Android phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.