You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos stuck on "Checking Library"

I'm trying to transfer photos from my photo albums on my iPhone but I see that, although all my photos have imported on my Mac, I can't see the albums I created on my iPhone. (I also see that a lot of pictures I deleted on my phone are on my mac, which is annoying, not sure how to fix that). So I go to check my settings (on Mac) and see that under "Apps on this Mac using iCloud" Photos is unchecked. When I try to check it, it just says "Checking Library" then stops and unchecks. If anyone could help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 2:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 12:55 PM

Hello lorenawithak,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. We see that you're running into some issues with iCloud Photos. That's a great way to keep your photos synced, and we'd like to help.

For clarification, it sounds like you use iCloud Photos and you see all of your photos both the iPhone and Mac, but they are not organized in albums on the Mac, and you've been unable to turn iCloud Photos back on. Is that correct?

Are other iCloud functions, like Contacts, working as expected between the two devices?

Also, you mentioned checking some settings. Have you tried System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud to then try turning iCloud Photos on from there? Set up and use iCloud Photos

If you've already tried that or you get the same result, try booting your Mac into safe mode next to see if the issue happens then also. This will help to rule out a few possible software causes for this behavior: How to use safe mode on your Mac. Once you've tested it in safe mode you can click Apple menu () > Restart to return to normal mode. Let us know what you find!

Best wishes.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2021 12:55 PM in response to lorenawithak

Hello lorenawithak,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. We see that you're running into some issues with iCloud Photos. That's a great way to keep your photos synced, and we'd like to help.

For clarification, it sounds like you use iCloud Photos and you see all of your photos both the iPhone and Mac, but they are not organized in albums on the Mac, and you've been unable to turn iCloud Photos back on. Is that correct?

Are other iCloud functions, like Contacts, working as expected between the two devices?

Also, you mentioned checking some settings. Have you tried System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud to then try turning iCloud Photos on from there? Set up and use iCloud Photos

If you've already tried that or you get the same result, try booting your Mac into safe mode next to see if the issue happens then also. This will help to rule out a few possible software causes for this behavior: How to use safe mode on your Mac. Once you've tested it in safe mode you can click Apple menu () > Restart to return to normal mode. Let us know what you find!

Best wishes.

iCloud Photos stuck on "Checking Library"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.