You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail "Rules"

Hello,

I thought that by creating a simple rule in Apple Mail, to identify all senders that were not in my contacts, I could clean up a bit my backlog of e-mails.

I clicked okay, and nothing happened... sure enough new e-mails that were sent from senders not in my contact list were shaded Orange, but not the thousands of already downloaded e-mails.

So not so useful after all, is this how it is suppose to work, or have I done something wrong?

I also tried setting the rules to place the e-mails in another folder; the result was the same: only new e-mails sent to folder.

Cheers,

Rouretan

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 6:44 AM

The rule would only be applied to existing emails if you had pre-selected the individual messages in your inbox before creating the rule. Then, once you save the rule, it will pop a dialog asking if you want to apply it to the selected messages. When you agree, it will apply to all that are selected.

The rule will be applied to all future emails that you receive.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Rouretan

The rule would only be applied to existing emails if you had pre-selected the individual messages in your inbox before creating the rule. Then, once you save the rule, it will pop a dialog asking if you want to apply it to the selected messages. When you agree, it will apply to all that are selected.

The rule will be applied to all future emails that you receive.

Apple mail "Rules"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.