You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I downgrade iOS 9 to 6 on my iPad 2

Hello, can I downgrade IOS 9.3.5 to IOS 6?

The reason why I want to because I just want old IOS or reminds me of my childhood. You know just for nostalgia. It been a huge changes. I also wonder if it is safe or not.

— Jaiven R.

Ipad one first gen "jaiven"

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:27 PM

It is not possible to restore an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS. 

All versions are digitally signed by Apple; digital signatures of old versions of System Software are revoked by Apple soon after release of an updated version of the Operating System. As all digital signatures are verified as valid prior to installation, older versions cannot be (re)installed. An Apple Store has no ability to (re)install an earlier version.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2021 4:27 PM in response to JaivenR29

It is not possible to restore an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS. 

All versions are digitally signed by Apple; digital signatures of old versions of System Software are revoked by Apple soon after release of an updated version of the Operating System. As all digital signatures are verified as valid prior to installation, older versions cannot be (re)installed. An Apple Store has no ability to (re)install an earlier version.

Apr 2, 2021 5:15 PM in response to JaivenR29

Absolutely not.

Purchase a new iPad, already.

It’s 2021, now.

A WHOLE LOT has changed with iPad and iOS ( now iPadOS ) in 10-years since the 2011 iPad 2,

You really need to seriously consider a purchase of a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, refurbished or used iPad models, from better known, trusted sources, like other Apple product/device retailers/resellers, locally or online, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are PLENTY of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Can I downgrade iOS 9 to 6 on my iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.