You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit Repeatedly Crashing

I updated my macOS to Big Sur 11.1 in January 2021 and ever since TextEdit (v 1.16) will suddenly crash while I'm in the middle of editing a document. No amount of reopening or creating a new document will ease the issue. I saw in the Developer Forums that TextEdit has been acting up since November 2020 when others updated to Big Sur as well, though according to some there still hasn't been a fix.

I do have an OS update available though have yet to install it. Does anyone know if TextEdit has finally been fixed in the latest OS? If not, has anyone found a fix on their own or a temporary solution?

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 9:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 10:39 AM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2021 10:39 AM in response to bornfreeeee

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

TextEdit Repeatedly Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.