You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share menu not enabled

Like @ffontech (thread) and @Esperanzaz (thread), on my Mac, the Share menu was empty. In System Preferences > Extensions, no items were present for any category, and Share menu showed "Not enabled."

(Config: macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.)

I created another user account. Logging in as that user, the sharing options appeared as expected.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 2:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 2:54 PM

To solve this, I opened ~/Library/Preferences and found several extensions-related preferences files:

com.apple.preferences.extensions.CredentialProvider.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoEditing.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoProjects.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.QuickLook.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ServicesWithUI.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.SharedLinks.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.XcodeSourceEditor.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.FinderSync.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist

Using plutil (plutil -convert xml1), I converted com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist to a text-based plist and confirmed the contents looked sensible.

I moved the files aside. Logging out and back in didn't fix the problem, but rebooting did, and my share options were back to normal:

I probably didn't need to move all nine of them, but I didn't feel like doing a binary search and waiting through multiple reboots.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Paul Schreiber

To solve this, I opened ~/Library/Preferences and found several extensions-related preferences files:

com.apple.preferences.extensions.CredentialProvider.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoEditing.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.PhotoProjects.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.QuickLook.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ServicesWithUI.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.SharedLinks.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.XcodeSourceEditor.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.FinderSync.plist

com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist

Using plutil (plutil -convert xml1), I converted com.apple.preferences.extensions.ShareMenu.plist to a text-based plist and confirmed the contents looked sensible.

I moved the files aside. Logging out and back in didn't fix the problem, but rebooting did, and my share options were back to normal:

I probably didn't need to move all nine of them, but I didn't feel like doing a binary search and waiting through multiple reboots.

Share menu not enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.