You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a MacBook Air w M1. Is there any way to use 2 external monitors or is it impossible?

I recently bought a MacAir w/ the M1 chip. I had intended to use this for work but i have to have 2 external monitors. i thought i could use my Dell Docking Station, but it's only allowing the use of one. If I put the other monitor directly into the other port in the laptop, will it work?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 7:18 AM

From this document: Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

-->

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

A M1 Mac Mini can support an additional display because it also has a HDMI port.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Macairdisplay

From this document: Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

-->

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

A M1 Mac Mini can support an additional display because it also has a HDMI port.

Apr 12, 2021 8:35 AM in response to Macairdisplay

Lightning? Do you mean USB ports? No, that's to what that document is referring. You can plus a display into each one but one of them won't work because the M1 line currently only supports a single display. Some people have been talking about using a third party device to use two but I haven't been following those discussions.

I just bought a MacBook Air w M1. Is there any way to use 2 external monitors or is it impossible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.