You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot use iCloud because it wants me to enter the password for an apple id that was changed 7 years ago.

I’m getting an error message from iCloud telling me to enter the password for an old apple id username, changed 7 years ago when I moved from PA to FL. The email account it had been associated with was from a small local provider, and so it was cancelled at that time. I'm still using the same mac, and long ago I deleted that email account from my apple mail app. I do not remember the password for that account and it cannot be recovered. I don’t know why iCloud is trying to link to that old account anyway… Does anyone know how to resolve this?

MacBook Pro 15″, 11.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 7:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 8:02 AM

That mail address was an Apple ID and was added in Mac system preferences > internet account ( you deleted from internet account ) , however you see to send mails from it and had iCloud Keychain set up , the apple id and password is still saved in keychain access .

Open keychain access from Mac spotlight , type the old Apple ID in spotlight search of keychain access and you will find it in All items category .

You as an administrator can find the password also View the information stored in a keychain on Mac - Apple Support

Deleting the Apple ID and password from keychain access is very risky ( you have to consult apple support senior advisors ) it can corrupt Mac keychain .

Whenever you sign in with new Apple ID and password the old Apple ID suggestions are there delete the Apple ID address see the articles Remove obsolete email addresses in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Remove email address suggestions in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2021 8:02 AM in response to catsinmyhair

That mail address was an Apple ID and was added in Mac system preferences > internet account ( you deleted from internet account ) , however you see to send mails from it and had iCloud Keychain set up , the apple id and password is still saved in keychain access .

Open keychain access from Mac spotlight , type the old Apple ID in spotlight search of keychain access and you will find it in All items category .

You as an administrator can find the password also View the information stored in a keychain on Mac - Apple Support

Deleting the Apple ID and password from keychain access is very risky ( you have to consult apple support senior advisors ) it can corrupt Mac keychain .

Whenever you sign in with new Apple ID and password the old Apple ID suggestions are there delete the Apple ID address see the articles Remove obsolete email addresses in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Remove email address suggestions in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

I cannot use iCloud because it wants me to enter the password for an apple id that was changed 7 years ago.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.