You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad magic keyboard wear and tear - looks bad after less than a year

Does anyone else have wear and tear on the outside of the iPad magic keyboard to this level

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 4:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 5:28 AM

Yes I realised that thanks. I was asking if anyone else had the same experience. Nonetheless next time I am in an Apple store I will take it with me as Apple have been known to exchange if they feel its a genuine situation. I think though my main point is that for US$300 you expect a better quality build that can withstand being carried in a computer bag daily and being sat on a desk daily - these are surely normal use scenarios.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2021 5:28 AM in response to Alistair13

Yes I realised that thanks. I was asking if anyone else had the same experience. Nonetheless next time I am in an Apple store I will take it with me as Apple have been known to exchange if they feel its a genuine situation. I think though my main point is that for US$300 you expect a better quality build that can withstand being carried in a computer bag daily and being sat on a desk daily - these are surely normal use scenarios.

May 27, 2021 1:13 PM in response to annieonewoods

Well that’s would help for sure. I think my wear is from the daily in and out of the computer bag. My only point here is that apple should look at these comments and make this product a little more enduring, perhaps corner reinforcement / thicker materials on the corners, and on the ends of the spline and this would be an amazing durable product.

Apr 15, 2021 6:28 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks., I think my point, having had and enjoyed (and promoted) Apple products for many years is that this particular product seems to wear much more quickly than other iPad accessories (made by Apple) I have owned and currently own. My question is whether there are others out there who have had the same experience. Hopefully the new iPad magic keyboard rumoured for next week might be more robust on the outside and if so I’ll be amongst the first to buy it for sure! I also should say that this is by far the best case / cover / keyboard I have experienced and I absolutely love it. Just wish I wasn’t thinking I about replacing it after less than a year because of the wear.

Apr 15, 2021 5:42 AM in response to Alistair13

Case materials, even from better third party makers/manufacturers can get visible wear and tear from normal use.

Especially being put into computer bags, backpacks,,briefcase, which may hold/contain other things that can rub and brush against the case external materials.

If case edges get banged ocassionally, this can weaken the bond of materials on the corner edges, over time, as well.

This stuff isn't bullet proof by no extents.

Besides, the case is supposed to take the beating and not the actual device contained within it.

iPad magic keyboard wear and tear - looks bad after less than a year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.