You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Export Issue

So, after editing a 90 minute video I tried to export it as a file (.MP4) into finder so I can then upload it to YouTube. However, no matter the setting, Everytime I export it, the video ends up in the folder with some strange unreadable file next to it (can't open it when clicked and is a blank paper as an icon, has video name at begining followed by various numbers and letters). When I go to upload the .MP4 file to YouTube, YouTube says the file is unreadable. I then go to repeat the process in iMovie, but the circle that fills to give you the progress of the export automatically shows halfway full 2 seconds after clicking and remains there with no change. What is wrong with this file, is there a fix where I don't have to redo everything I've done? I've triple checked I'm following the steps correctly and this isn't the first time I've exported and uploaded a video, just the first time I've had this issue.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 9:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 12:32 AM

There could be a fault with iMovie.

If  iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with sometimes no projects etc. on the interface. 

If your project doesn’t load automatically you will have to navigate to it and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2021 12:32 AM in response to IGuessI_mDemons

There could be a fault with iMovie.

If  iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with sometimes no projects etc. on the interface. 

If your project doesn’t load automatically you will have to navigate to it and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Apr 19, 2021 8:01 AM in response to IGuessI_mDemons

It might be that you don't have enough space on your destination drive to import a 90 minute movie, that is pretty large. So the export aborts before being completed, leaving you with a temporary file on your desktop that you could not open or play, as you have observed. Or possibly there is some corruption in the movie that is causing the export to abort.

Check how much free space you have by going to Apple Logo/About this Mac/Storage. If you are saving to an external drive control-click on its icon, then click on Get Info and check the Get Info box to see how much available space that you have. Also, if your external drive is formatted FAT 32, there would be a 4GB file size limitation that is causing the export to abort, since your movie is a lot larger than 4GB.

As for the possibility of corruption in the project, you can expand your timeline and scroll through it looking for signs of corruption such as black frames, white flashes, artifacts, etc. Cut out any that you find and try again to export. Good idea to work with a duplicate so that you preserved your original work. You can narrow down your search by exporting, say, one half of the project and if it works then you know that the corruption is in the other half.

To rule out that the export problem is confined to just this one project, try creating a new project and then, in your original project do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in it and Edit/Paste the media into the timeline of the newly created project. Your edits will carry over. Then see if you can successfully export the new project.

-- Rich

iMovie Export Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.