You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panics on 2020 iMac

I recently purchased a used 2020 27 inch iMac. Every once in a while it will randomly restart and come back saying my computer has restarted because of a problem. I still have it but I am in the process of returning it. Basically I want to know what was causing it? Once this one is returned I wanted to get another one but not if this some normal thing. I upgraded the RAM to two sticks of 32 GB OWC ram if that matters. I did everything Apple told me to do over the phone including reinstalling OS , it was working like normal for a couple of days and then it restarted twice again , that's when i decided to return it.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 12:17 PM

8 replies

Apr 19, 2021 12:32 PM in response to sonnyd92

Memtest is a bootable memory stress test utility have I've used on Mac and Windows for years. Its going to more thorough than just using the Mac HW test. - all that aside if you are running any AV software on your Mac that can throw things into a state of misery. it's also a good idea to test without external drives or 3rd party devices attached.

It's free btw.

https://www.memtest86.com

Kernel Panics on 2020 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.