You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone number registered to Apple ID but not this device. Number Expiring

I recently switched cell phone providers and everything was fine until recently when I kept getting an alert about my iMessage and FaceTime Number. In iMessage under registered numbers is my phone number. It has message saying "This number is registered to you Apple ID, but is not associated with this phone. You can keep using the number for iMessage and FaceTime until it expires." I have an option to remove that number from iMessage and FaceTime but I don't want to do that as this is my number.

Does anyone know how to fix this? This is my actual phone number and the only Iphone I own. I have tried to reset my device and switch iMessage and FaceTime on and off but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 7:24 PM

Hello Alicia_K1,

Thank you for the information you have provided. My number listed in Settings>Phone>My number is the correct number and I'm able to send and receive messages at this number. I have switched on and off iMessage and wait the 24 hours but the warning of an expiring number still exists. The service and iMessage service are working perfectly. It's only that warning that still exists.

I spoke to an agent yesterday and he stated it will work itself either before the expiration date or after it expires. Can you confirm this? As of now the warning still exists but the phone is working great. Thank you for your help.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2021 7:24 PM in response to Ali_E1

Hello Alicia_K1,

Thank you for the information you have provided. My number listed in Settings>Phone>My number is the correct number and I'm able to send and receive messages at this number. I have switched on and off iMessage and wait the 24 hours but the warning of an expiring number still exists. The service and iMessage service are working perfectly. It's only that warning that still exists.

I spoke to an agent yesterday and he stated it will work itself either before the expiration date or after it expires. Can you confirm this? As of now the warning still exists but the phone is working great. Thank you for your help.

Apr 20, 2021 1:10 PM in response to joelafleur116

Hello, joelafleur116.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’ve been seeing an alert message for iMessage and FaceTime about the expiry of your phone number since switching cellular providers. We’re happy to take a look at this with you! It sounds like you’ve already done some great preliminary troubleshooting, like restarting your iPhone and disabling iMessage and FaceTime. 

The telephone number associated with iMessage and FaceTime has to be one that is active on the device, and should mirror the number you see at Settings > Phone > My Number. We know that some carriers will give you a temporary number to use when you switch to allow time to port your number from the previous carrier, so we encourage you to check here and see if it’s displaying the correct number. If it isn't, reach out to your new carrier to check on the status of your port.

If it is, check to see if you can make/receive calls and SMS messages using your number. You’ll need to be able to successfully send a text message using that number for it to fully activate, and it can take up to 24 hours after everything is fully provisioned for it to register with iMessage and FaceTime.

These articles explain in more detail:

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you’re showing the correct number at “My Number” and you’ve toggled iMessage off and back on (without touching it again) for 24 hours, let us know. We want to make sure you’re able to keep in touch!

Warmest Regards.

Apr 20, 2021 7:42 PM in response to joelafleur116

joelafleur116,

You’re very welcome! We were pleased to learn that you’ve already worked with Apple Support and that your iMessages continue to work as expected. Since they are the experts when it comes to your iPhone, we’re sure their guidance is solid. It’s not uncommon for iMessage or FaceTime provisioning to take awhile to work itself out, as they say. 

Cheers!

Phone number registered to Apple ID but not this device. Number Expiring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.