You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ask to Buy isn't working

for some reason the Ask to Buy notification is not showing on my phone when my daughter request it. instead I have to approve it directly on her phone. I check the setting and my ID and everything seems fine. any ideas how to fix it?

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 2:28 PM

oras78,

Thanks for checking that for us. Next, let's see if there are any purchase restrictions for the App Store on your daughter's device in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases. Learn more here:

Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store

If there aren't any restrictions, and this behavior with Ask to Buy persists, the next best step is to connect with the Apple ID support team to see if they can provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started:

Apple ID Support

Take care.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2021 2:28 PM in response to oras78

oras78,

Thanks for checking that for us. Next, let's see if there are any purchase restrictions for the App Store on your daughter's device in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases. Learn more here:

Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store

If there aren't any restrictions, and this behavior with Ask to Buy persists, the next best step is to connect with the Apple ID support team to see if they can provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started:

Apple ID Support

Take care.

Apr 21, 2021 11:06 AM in response to oras78

oras78,

Thanks for following up with us. Let's continue working together to sort this out. Have you noticed any trends with this behavior? For example, does this tend to happen when your iPhone isn't connected to Wi-Fi or in specific locations?

Next, let's be sure both your iPhones are updated to the latest software version, which is iOS 14.4.2. You can check the version listed in Settings > General > About. This link provides step-by-step instructions for updating if you need help:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care.

Apr 25, 2021 12:35 PM in response to oras78

oras78,

We appreciate the update, and we'd like to dig a little deeper to get to the bottom of this.

If you open Notification Center, do you see any Ask to Buy requests there? Also, you mentioned you have to approve the purchase directly from your daughter's iPhone; are you and your daughter sharing the same Apple ID or does she have her own separate Apple ID that she uses for her iPhone and Family Sharing?

The links below may be helpful:

Use your own Apple ID for Family Sharing

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2021 8:09 AM in response to oras78

Hi there oras78,

Thanks for connecting with us in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're not seeing Ask to Buy requests when your daughter attempts to make a purchase. We're glad you're here, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To start, did you get a chance to try all the steps in the 'Check the Apple ID that you're using for purchases' and 'Review your Family Sharing settings' sections of the related article linked in blue at the top left corner of this page?

If you go to Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing, is Purchase Sharing turned on? If you tap on your daughter’s name from there, do you see that Ask to Buy is turned on?

Next, go to Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing, tap your name, and make note of the Apple ID that appears there. Then, go back to Settings and tap [your name] > iTunes & App Store; is the same Apple ID listed for Family Sharing and the iTunes & App Stores?

Let us know what you find, and we'll take a closer look from there.

Cheers.

Apr 25, 2021 1:22 PM in response to Sparks0829

No, I don’t see any request coming through my phone neither to download not to ask to buy. As for approving directly on her phone, I do it because there’s an option to approve it directly and it’s the only way for her to download app or buy from her games. She has one her own apple ID and listed under my sharing people needing to ask to buy.

Ask to Buy isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.