You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant keeps searching/does not connect

I am trying to migrate my macbook pro (2012; Big Sur 11.2.3) to a new macbook air (2020) via wifi. When running the migration assistant on the mac book air, it cannot find the macbook pro (keeps searching). I already checked that the Macbook Pro has a name, they are both on the same network and connected to a power outlet. I restarted both laptops already as well. Cannot do a migration via cable at the moment because the 2012 macbook pro is not compatible with USB C (waiting for an adapter which I ordered).

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 11:17 PM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2021 5:42 PM in response to katharina20

Hello katharina20,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into an issue migrating data from your old MacBook to your new one. It sounds as though you are following the direction provided in article, Move your content to a new Mac. We did want to clarify, are both MacBook's running macOS Big Sur 11.2.3? Also, are you enabling Migration Assistant on both devices? If you answer yes to both questions, or you have issues after trying both suggestions, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support for additional guidance. You can reach them directly at Get Support.

Best regards.

Migration assistant keeps searching/does not connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.