You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot create folder or copy files to external hard drive

I have a 2TB SSD connected to my Mac Mini M1 via USB port. I was able to copy files to the drive before but now it seems that when I copy a file to it or create a folder on it...about 10 seconds later it just disappears. I'm using Big Sur 11.2.3. Why is this happening now ? Is it iCloud Drive ? I've try to deactivate that...same thing. The SSD has 1.62 TB available of space (so it's not a space issue). Help ! This is serious and I need to get work done.

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 10:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 9:57 AM

oh snap. I just did another test...I think it's iCloud drive that is causing this problem. I removed iCloud drive, rebooted my computer...copied files to my USB external and wah-la...it seems to be working.

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 21, 2021 11:52 PM in response to combatfisher

Hey Combatfisher! (Like the name!).

Can you first show the formatting of the internal and external drives?

Open Disk Utility from Finder/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

Next, selection the top menu, select:

View > Show All Devices.

The information there when both selecting the main hard drives, and the indented partitions just below them may help.

Likewise, does this happen when copying a file from any location? Also did this start happening after any event, (Such as an update, or program installation)?

Cheers.

Apr 22, 2021 12:53 AM in response to DiZoE

Apple SSD (internal 500 GB) - APFS

External drive (2TB) - APFS

If I go to the external file system, if I create a folder in the external drive...it will disappear like 10-15 seconds later

If I save a file there...same thing.

Not sure what is causing this, I copied a lot of files there before without issue.

(Combatfisher = I love fly fishing and will fish under any conditions :)

cannot create folder or copy files to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.