You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 5.0 cannot duplicate certain photos

While many are trying to find a way to erase duplicate photos, my Macbook Pro has lost the ability to duplicate "certain" photos on demand. I have tried Command+D, I have tried the menu, but no good. While some photos are duplicated, other cannot be. I have tired to find a common characteristics between the ones that cannot be duplicated; does not matter if edited, or has face name, or location, or from a certain camera, the issue seems random, since photos with similar metadata can either be duplicated or not.

Thank you in advance:

MBP 2020 on Catalina, Photos 5.0

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 2:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 12:12 PM

I had the same issue and you are right, there is no rhyme or reason as to why certain photos cannot be duplicated - doesn't seem to matter if they are new or old or have been edited.

However, I have found a workaround that worked for me. If you reopen the photo and make a small edit, such as a crop and then exit the photo, a new edited version is then saved and you should be able to create a duplicate. This worked for me on all photos that couldn't be duplicated.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2021 12:12 PM in response to berkerm

I had the same issue and you are right, there is no rhyme or reason as to why certain photos cannot be duplicated - doesn't seem to matter if they are new or old or have been edited.

However, I have found a workaround that worked for me. If you reopen the photo and make a small edit, such as a crop and then exit the photo, a new edited version is then saved and you should be able to create a duplicate. This worked for me on all photos that couldn't be duplicated.

Photos 5.0 cannot duplicate certain photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.