You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - How do I disable the control center or control it fully?

I like a clean and compact interface. The new control center is anything but compact. It is unfortunate that this "mobile first"-design made its' entrance onto the desktop. Two big reasons for using a desktop, is that is different and that you have full control. Now with Big Sur you have neither and desktop is becoming more and more "mobile with physical keyboard".

Anyway, anything I do not use I do not want to clutter my interface nor - preferably - even the system resources. But it seems not all functions in the control center can be disabled, like the volume etc. Or can they?

So I want to either

1. disable some functions in the Control Center
  2. resize some functions
  3. disable it altogether

Is any of these possible?

Thinking of going back to some Linux just because of this. Why do Apple not let you control your interface? It can hardly be because of security...

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 11:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 12:39 AM

If that's a dealbreaker you'll be heading back to Linux. You can't disable the Control Centre and there are some modules that cannot be removed.

On the upside, while I did find it irritating at first, it was only when I saw your post that I even remembered it.

9 replies

Apr 25, 2021 1:19 AM in response to noSoundPlz

It is not possible to remove it or to change the layout. You can just move controls between the main menu bar and the Control Center. I simply ignore it like Yer_Man wrote. I enabled "Show in Menu Bar" and "Menu Bar Only" (if available) in System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar, for all items, that I ever need to use, so I never have to look at the Control Center again, as the menu bar is always available.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 28, 2021 3:42 PM in response to noSoundPlz

If this is one of the first things that Apple "forces" upon you, who knows what more will come.

Might be best to have a little bit of perspective on this. It's not like you're "forced" under threat of pain and torture. It's a feature - one of hundreds - that I have no use for. Everything it does I can do faster and more easily from the keyboard. So, after a bit, I forgot about it. Similarly, even though I've been using Macs for just short of thirty years now, I have never once used Screen Mirroring. But that's not a reason to try find an OS that doesn't have it. I just forget about it.

The Mac OS has never been as configurable as Linux, and for an awful lot of Mac users that's a good thing.

Big Sur - How do I disable the control center or control it fully?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.