You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to verify account name or password

good day, trying to re-add Mail account but get continuously the above message. I have checked and confirmed passwords etc. and everything works on other apple products. all the suggestions I see relate to an existing mail account however i had removed my mail account with the idea to re-install it. But cannot.

I am convinced that it has something to do with keychain but I cannot solve this, after hours of trying everything I could find.

Appreciate any help folks.

Jim

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 8:40 AM

For any readers who may be experiencing the same issues as myself perhaps this is of use; (thanks to Simon Cox)

The process to recov­er your OSX Mac Mail and Inter­net Accounts from the ​‘Unable to ver­i­fy account name or pass­word' issue.

Open your email account in sys­tem preferences

Choose the email account to verify

Note that your pass­word field is blank

Fill in the password

Press Tab to move to the next field (Impor­tant!)

Enjoy your email life

Unfortunately as I had already deleted the troublesome mail account I could not use this solution. Still looking for a solution.

Jim

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Sixnations

For any readers who may be experiencing the same issues as myself perhaps this is of use; (thanks to Simon Cox)

The process to recov­er your OSX Mac Mail and Inter­net Accounts from the ​‘Unable to ver­i­fy account name or pass­word' issue.

Open your email account in sys­tem preferences

Choose the email account to verify

Note that your pass­word field is blank

Fill in the password

Press Tab to move to the next field (Impor­tant!)

Enjoy your email life

Unfortunately as I had already deleted the troublesome mail account I could not use this solution. Still looking for a solution.

Jim

Apr 25, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Sixnations

Ok, thanks for the additional information.

Two things:

1. Double-check your macOS Keychain to be sure that it does not contain an outdated set of login credentials for this mail account. If it does, delete the entry in the Keychain. If not, go on to the next item.
  2. Completely remove (if it still exists,) and then, add back the problematic email account in the Mail app.

unable to verify account name or password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.