You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Mac Mail Incoming Server Password Mojave

I have several Gmail accounts and one of them is not connecting. I figured I would re-enter the server password for this account and I cannot find it anywhere. I am using Mojave.

In Mail, I see only 'Outgoing Mail Account' and no place to enter the password. In Account Information, I see only Description and Email Address.

When I go to System Preferences, and Internet Accounts, I can click on Details and get only the Description.

When I go to Users & Groups, I get only information for logging into my Mac.

The last time I had this happen (it seems to suddenly be happening now on this one of four Gmail accounts), I had to delete it from my Mac and re-enter it all. It worked again for months, now will not sync again.

I just want to check and re-enter the server settings. Where is it hidden?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:49 PM

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors>Server Settings>Outgoing Mal Server>Edit SMTP list.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2021 5:49 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors>Server Settings>Outgoing Mal Server>Edit SMTP list.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Apr 27, 2021 8:41 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your response.

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors This is a separate entry from Outgoing Mail Server.

Under Mailbox Behaviors, it appears to just be where to file emails.

When I go to:

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Server Settings>Outgoing Mal Server>Edit SMTP list

there is nothing in the list. I checked my other Gmail accounts and that is true of all of my other four Gmail accounts.

These are all IMAP accounts, if that makes any difference.

Apr 27, 2021 8:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your comment. I am using the Mac Mail application, not the Gmail app, if that is what you are referring to.

I have four Gmail accounts. Three of them work without any problem. They all appear to be setup the same - at least I cannot find any difference.

When I setup the accounts in the Mac Mail program (app?), I entered the proper passwords. It has worked for years. This problem has just cropped up.

Apr 29, 2021 6:31 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

I think I may have solved my problem, somehow, for now.

I never found how to input the password or server information on the Mac for the incoming server. It would be nice to know this.

But when I went onto Safari and signed in all of my Gmail accounts (and made sure they were linked together), Mail on the Mac has started working. I am receiving mail now.

Updating Mac Mail Incoming Server Password Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.