You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared photo albums

If I create a shared photo album on my phone and invite my family members, do the photos take up storage on family members iPhones?

iPhone 8

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 5:14 AM

The central storage for shared albums is in iCloud, but the iPhone will download copies of the shared photos on the devices of the subscribers. The shared photos will be down sized, but I would not share too many photos, only a few hand picked, best photos. the recipients can delete the photos from their copy of the shared album, without deleting them from the devices of the other subscribers, but it would be inconsiderate to dump thousands of photos onto the devices of the subscribers.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2021 5:14 AM in response to Ron92647

The central storage for shared albums is in iCloud, but the iPhone will download copies of the shared photos on the devices of the subscribers. The shared photos will be down sized, but I would not share too many photos, only a few hand picked, best photos. the recipients can delete the photos from their copy of the shared album, without deleting them from the devices of the other subscribers, but it would be inconsiderate to dump thousands of photos onto the devices of the subscribers.

Shared photo albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.