You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed 14.5. Now what. How do I use it to stop Facebook from tracking me?

I downloaded and installed iOS 14.5 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Based on what I have read about the new privacy features that are part of 14.5, I was expecting that I would open up Facebook, see a message asking if I would allow Facebook to track me and have access to my personal data, and then I would have an option to tell Facebook to do something that the politeness police won't allow me to say on this forum.

But seems like nothing's changed. I open Facebook or any other app that is known to track and collect data (like google maps), and there are no permission request alerts popping up. So I have to assume that the apps are still tracking me.

Is there something I need to do to turn on this new feature? I went to Privacy in my settings and made sure that "allow apps to request to track" was switched on. But I am not seeing any requests.

There is LOTS of wordy statements about how Apple values our privacy. But I don't really see clear instructions on how to use the new features to shut facebook out.

And before someone says something useless like "why don't you just delete the Facebook app?" I don't want to, that's why. I still use it to communicate with family and friends.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 9:27 AM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2021 7:32 AM in response to David Hard

I too was pretty excited about this ability to increase privacy about my personal information. I quit FB for example after the infamous Cambridge Analytica episode where FB allowed a private company to harvest all kinds of PERSONAL data about millions of users for nefarious purposes.

Now, is Apple saying that if I don’t toggle ON (make the switch green) the “Allow Apps to Request to Track” that it stops the tracking of Advertising Identifiers OR does just leaving it off do that function?

Which is it?

From a guy who has been w/ Apple since 1984

Apr 29, 2021 7:52 AM in response to MojoMan49

This function does not stop what FB does to track you on FB. It prevents FB from learning what other apps you are using and what you are doing on those other apps. But FB itself is still just as intrusive as it always was. Which is why I have never had a FB account and have no plans to. But I also have learned that FB creates a “ghost” account for tracking anyone who is ever mentioned in any FB post.

May 19, 2021 5:05 AM in response to EugeneAskWhy

OK, I’ve told Facebook not to track across apps, I checked the switches, and they are all set off, but Facebook is still obviously tracking my Safari and/or Amazon. I was searching about a product yesterday and an ad for that product showed up on Facebook today. A fairly unusual product, so I know it was done by watching my activities on other apps.

May 19, 2021 7:50 AM in response to andrewfromstrongsville

Yes, Facebook has other means of tracking you; the settings only prevent apps from using your phone’s advertising identifier to track you. But there are many other ways that don’t involve your iPhone. For example, when you look at a product the site that hosts the product can identify you from your IP address as a minimum, and your user name if you log in to the site. The only way to stop Facebook from tracking you is to delete your Facebook account. Which is why I don’t have a Facebook account, and never have had one. But even without an account Facebook knows who I am and maintains a “shadow” account in my name, based on the fact that other Facebook users have mentioned me. Facebook is pure evil. Think of Faust, who sold his soul to satisfy his cravings. Using Facebook is selling your soul for whatever perceived benefits you get from it.

I installed 14.5. Now what. How do I use it to stop Facebook from tracking me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.