You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer issue with macOS 11.3

Can't print to HP printer after upgrade to macOS 11.3

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 2:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 6:03 PM

Thanks. I spent a *long* time with Apple support trying to resolve this. Turns out I could print if my Mac was in safe mode. Not under normal mode. We couldn’t find any 3rd party software that might be responsible. Changing from USB connection to wireless via Bonjour (which apparently bypasses some software) worked. So, problem solved. Kind of. Grateful for the help I received from Apple. Tech support for a six+ year old product was incredible. 

Mac desktop late 2014

macOS 11.3

HP Officejet Pro 8600

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2021 6:03 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks. I spent a *long* time with Apple support trying to resolve this. Turns out I could print if my Mac was in safe mode. Not under normal mode. We couldn’t find any 3rd party software that might be responsible. Changing from USB connection to wireless via Bonjour (which apparently bypasses some software) worked. So, problem solved. Kind of. Grateful for the help I received from Apple. Tech support for a six+ year old product was incredible. 

Mac desktop late 2014

macOS 11.3

HP Officejet Pro 8600

May 3, 2021 5:39 AM in response to sawdoc

Hi,

It would probably be correct to assume that your ENVY model was connected as an AirPrint printer (About AirPrint - Apple Support). The printer and the computer must be connected to the same network.

It may be a good idea to check the router manufacturer's recommendations regarding 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. See also Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support. Some printers may be limited to using 2.4 GHz.

An operating system update may or may not break a certain configuration. If necessary, one could try the following: Power off the router, the printer, the computer (and all other devices/computers). Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait another two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Finally, power on the computer (and all other devices/computers). If this does not help,, one could try resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer (as an AirPrint printer).

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Printer issue with macOS 11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.