You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor Hovering Problem

For some months now the cursor will activate screen trigger buttons just by hovering over the button. This occurs on multiple MacBook Pros, running Mojave and Catalina, using a mouse, trackball, and track pad. Examples, if hesitating for a second or less while going down the dock it will open that app. No click required. It takes a mere act of hovering. This gets very irritating when doing online banking or when on Amazon. Numerous times I've had to undo an action that I never clicked on. I just happened let the cursor hover over the button. We could blame on a hardware problem. But, seriously, this affects multiple platforms with different OS versions.

FWIW, Has poor quality of the iPhone code acted like a virus infecting Apple's culture of quality across all platforms? Other long time Apple users and I have come the conclusion that Apple no longer considers software a priority.

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 10:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 2:49 PM

Unfortunately, I have never had the tap to click enables. The trackpad have no other settings that affect the hovering problem. This must be controlled at a higher level since it affect the trackpad, mouse, and a trackball controller. I suspect it is a bug introduced during one of the OS updates (by a coder that doesn't understand the hardware).

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2021 2:49 PM in response to HWTech

Unfortunately, I have never had the tap to click enables. The trackpad have no other settings that affect the hovering problem. This must be controlled at a higher level since it affect the trackpad, mouse, and a trackball controller. I suspect it is a bug introduced during one of the OS updates (by a coder that doesn't understand the hardware).

Cursor Hovering Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.