You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format a Mercury Elite Pro external hard drive?

I am told by OWC that I must "format" my new Mercury Elite Pro external hard drive? Can I use "disk utility" to do this, and what must I do to format the drive?

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 2:31 PM

Hi karlssongunvor,

This will erase all data on the Mercury Elite Pro:

1. Go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities)
  2. In Disk Utility, select “View” > “Show All Devices”.
  3. Select the top level, non indented, drive in the external section of Disk Utility.
  4. Click Erase
  5. Name: any name you want
  6. Format: For Time Machine: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if macOS Catalina or earlier, APFS if Big Sur. For General Use: (macOS Mojave or later, APFS. macOS High Sierra or earlier, Mac OS Extended (Journaled).)
  7. Scheme: GUID
  8. Click Erase

Cheers,

Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2021 2:31 PM in response to karlssongunvor

Hi karlssongunvor,

This will erase all data on the Mercury Elite Pro:

1. Go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities)
  2. In Disk Utility, select “View” > “Show All Devices”.
  3. Select the top level, non indented, drive in the external section of Disk Utility.
  4. Click Erase
  5. Name: any name you want
  6. Format: For Time Machine: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if macOS Catalina or earlier, APFS if Big Sur. For General Use: (macOS Mojave or later, APFS. macOS High Sierra or earlier, Mac OS Extended (Journaled).)
  7. Scheme: GUID
  8. Click Erase

Cheers,

Jack

How do I format a Mercury Elite Pro external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.