You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the update this will install? I'm currently at Catalina 1.15.7

Attempting to connect my iPad (14.5 just installed) with my Mac Mini (Catalina 10.15.7). Received message: "A software update is required to connect to iPad". Clicking "LearnMore" gives the following:

" Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device. If you continue to see this alert, make sure that your software on your Mac and iTunes are up-to-date."

There is no info about what is being installed. Does anyone know?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 3:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 1:30 PM

Shorter version of the above: it’s an update to Finder to allow it to communicate with the iPhone. Nothing else changes.

7 replies

May 1, 2021 1:34 PM in response to HelpNeededxx

According to If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support:

"When you connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a Mac with macOS 10.11 or later, you might need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognize your iOS device." 

Only the software which allows your computer to communicate with your iPad will be updated.

May 1, 2021 1:24 PM in response to HelpNeededxx

Greetings, and welcome to Apple Support Communities HelpNeededxx,

We can see that you're unable to sync your newly updated iPad with your Mac mini.

This might help: If you see an error in Finder or iTunes on your computer You'd want to follow the directions, including seeing if there are any updates to your Mac. You can find this in the App Store on your Mac.

If you'd rather not update your Mac, you can also back up your iPad using iCloud. Here's how: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

We hope this helps!

What is the update this will install? I'm currently at Catalina 1.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.